Friday, October 17, 2014

Lovely Locks?

It has been two months now since I stopped using shampoo and conditioner on my hair.  You can read more about it here.

There was a few times mid September when I thought of tossing the towel in on the whole thing.  Why was I doing this anyways?  Maybe people were staring at my hair everywhere I went thinking "seriously woman? Wash your hair!?"  Then maybe again they're not.  My friends are yet to hold an intervention.

But I did think maybe there was a middle ground.  Shampoos out there that are sulfate free.  What I have found, is that there aren't.  If they don't have sodium laurel sulfate, then they have sodium coco sulfate.  Coco being derived from coconuts.  That seemed like a good alternative.  Coconuts are natural after all.  But the more reading I did, the more I decided that it wasn't really an alternative at all.  Here's one article that talks about the differences between the two.

Deciding I was going to continue with my baking soda and apple cider vinegar routine, I also had to be ok with for me, that means using that treatment about every 4/5 days.  I've read some people end up going an entire month.  I just can't do that.  Maybe it's the oils in my hair, or the running I do, but that seems like the balance I need to not look scary!

Here's the regime I am using:

I take about 1 tbsp of baking soda, and mix in about 2 tbsp of water.  I pour that on my scalp and scrub it in and let it sit.

I rinse with water, then apply the apple cider vinegar solution.  I use about 1 tbsp to 1 cup of water.

I rinse with water, then while still in the shower, comb my hair, and rinse with water again.

So simple, and noyone has yet complained about how I smell either ;)

Negatives to this, is I really hoped it would improve my skin as I struggle with eczema.  I've noticed no real difference.  What keeps me going on this is I used to have incredibly frustrating fly away hair.  That is no longer an issue, and I have more body in my hair as well.  It no longer feels flat and limp.


The next test will be what my hairstylist thinks when I get a hair cut next!

No comments:

Post a Comment